Pregnancy Care & Birthing Center
New, Modern Birthing Suites - Delivering You Our Best
Welcome your baby where you feel comfortable—in our stunning new birthing suites designed with your care and comfort in mind. Each spacious, private suite features state-of-the-art advancements and a full range of amenities to help customize the birthing experience of your dreams, including beautiful artwork by Minnesota artisans, a 54” television, and a personal refrigerator.
Our facility offers modern, clean, and comfortable birthing suites. Each features a large tub and a warm, bright environment to make your stay with us as comfortable as possible.
Astera Health’s first newborn
Astera Health welcomed its first newborn into the world shortly after opening the new campus in March 2023. Carly Drake shares her birthing experience and why she chose Astera Health.
Hala Madi, MD, OBGYN
“My passion and purpose to work with women includes my interest in providing a comprehensive approach to healthcare.”
Allison Freese-Johnson, CNM
Truly believes the patient-provider relationship should be a collaborative effort. This two-person team helps make your birthing experience a memorable experience. Allison is accepting new patients at the Astera Health – Wadena Clinic.
Dawn Dahlgren-Roemmich, CNM
Loves making the journey of pregnancy to birth a joyous event for the family.
Julie Meyer, MD
Caring for others has been a big part of Dr. Meyer’s life whether it’s for her patients or family.
Shaneen Schmidt, MD
Patients are part of her family.
Laura DuChene, MD
Loves being a Mom and physician.
Bobbi Adams, MD
Bobbi Adams, MD discusses her path to becoming a physician and her love for the work she does.
Labor Pain Relief Options
Your labor and delivery team members are specialists in using nitrous oxide (laughing gas) for pain relief. It is gentle to laboring mothers. The effects are immediate and powerful enough to help with painful contractions. You are in control of how much or how little you use, and the medication fades from your system within minutes.
Spinal or general anesthesia
Is used for Cesarean sections.
Our team has been specially trained to assist mothers with water births. Laboring or giving birth in a warm-water tub can help take the edge off the pain and give mothers a little more control over their bodies.
Specialized care – from people who care
Our experienced team of family practice providers, an OB/GYN, a certified nurse midwife, and labor and delivery nurses are honored to help with one of life’s most important moments – the birth of your child. From our exceptional hospital and birthing suites to caring providers who take the time to truly get to know you, you are more than just another patient on a schedule. We are here to provide personalized prenatal care, regular checkups, or group support in a welcoming, friendly environment. That’s the Astera promise.
Are you looking for a provider? Check out our provider directory.
At Astera, we believe prenatal and breastfeeding education is the most effective way for new parents to help prepare for childbirth and early parenting. We offer one-to-one education for moms during clinic visits.
Car Seat Checks
Astera reminds parents to use car seats to keep babies and young children safe while riding in vehicles.
Safe Place for Newborns
Circumcision is the surgical removal of the foreskin on the head of the penis. Many parents choose to have their baby circumcised for religious, traditional, and medical reasons. The procedure is often performed within the first two weeks of your baby being born.
- Circumcisions are usually performed in the hospital soon after delivery. We have providers who can perform them in the clinic within the first 14 days of your baby being born.
- A discounted pre-payment in the amount of $350 will be due before the circumcision can be performed.
- The financial assistance program does not cover circumcisions.
- All patients are required to sign a waiver. This includes advanced notice to all patients advising if your baby is placed on Medicaid, the service will not be covered as it is considered cosmetic.
- For patients with commercial insurance, when your claim processes, we will apply your credit to any co-pay, deductible, and/or co-insurance amount. Any remaining credit will be refunded by check. This check will come from Astera Health.
- If you change your mind and want a circumcision after 2 weeks of having your baby, you will be referred to a specialist as the procedure is far more complicated after 14 days.
The National Institutes of Health offers information about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
Blue Band Initiative
The Blue Band Initiative is an effort to alert healthcare providers about a patient’s risk for preeclampsia. Patients at risk will wear a blue wristband during pregnancy and after delivery of their babies. If asked to wear a blue band, keep it on until your provider removes it or tells you to remove it.
Preeclampsia resources for providers:
- Acute Treatment Algorithm
- Antihypertensive Agents Used for Urgent Blood Pressure Control in Pregnancy
Preeclampsia resources for patients: